Monday, September 24, 2007

Impassive aggressive

Something D. told me last night struck me as initially offensive: "don't define your self-worth by whether or not you have a significant other to show off". I had been talking to her about how after my relationship with A. collapsed I was initially reluctant to attend my reunion and the upcoming wedding of a good friend of mine by myself. I hate when she's right, but it's her pull-no-punches brand of advice that I need the most, especially now when it's all too easy to throw myself yet another pity party. Sure, the drive up to Wisconsin is 6 hours one way, but it's not as if I don't have enough music to listen to. Attending the wedding solo also means not having to worry about anyone else but myself, and I relish the idea of being a little selfish.

Dinner tonight with B. was refreshing; after realizing that we had several mutual friends, we agreed to finally meet up after I dropped The Boy off. No preconcieved notions, no pretense-just 2 people having dinner and realizing we had more than a few things in common. I frankly don't see the harm in making new friends while in the process of working on myself.

No comments: