Monday, August 11, 2008

Reunions

The Boy has been home and here with me since Friday night, a couple of weeks earlier than expected but a welcome surprise nonetheless. We've made some progress on the unpacking front, getting his room in some semblance of order. He seems pleased with the new digs.

Running low (read: next to nothing) when it came to kitchen supplies, we made a trip out to Wal-Mart (yes, WAL-MART. Me neither.) and grabbed a cookware set along with some stuff for the bathroom. Maybe it was because I hadn't really cooked anything in over a year and a half (and maybe that was because I was a lazy bastard), but I actually got a thrill out of getting some of that shopping done. Could I have become The Domesticated Narcissist?

My wife also got in this weekend, and with her living out in Wheaton for the next several months while we both prepare our kids for the eventual co-habitation, we didn't get to nearly spend as much time together tonight as we had hoped. Trust me, though, we made use of what time we did have...whew!

To say that I am ecstatic tonight does not give the word justice. I have everything I want-finally-and as unconventional as some of this may seem, it sure beats my old life of weekend fatherhood and relationship settling. I fucking hated sitting by while my son was virtually ignored in a female-dominated household; all that time spent dating people I had no business being with when my heart belonged to someone else. I know that it took going through all of that to get where I'm at today, and today I am grateful.

No comments: