Monday, June 18, 2007

Monday Morning Sweatbox

I must be quite the sight at the moment. With it being 78 degrees outside at present, it feels at least 10 degrees hotter in this sauna of an apartment. The extension cords I bought for the new a/c unit today were the wrong type. Idiot!

Father's Day came and went with little fanfare. I elected not to hit the cemetery after all as it had been some time since my last visit and neither myself nor my brothers knew exactly where Dad is buried. I plan on driving out on my day off this week and at least getting the map to his headstone, coming back soon with Liam to pay our respects. At Mom's invitation we headed over to her house to have a Father's Day barbecue with her, my stepdad Lou, most of his kids/grandkids, my grandma and Lou's uncle. Not an hour before we left to come over, my brother calls with Father's Day wishes and to remind me that it was Mom and Lou's 1st wedding anniversary. I could've sworn it was June 19th but regardless, I've been too wrapped up in my own drama and the pending summer with Liam (one more week!) to think about much else. Thankfully there was a Walgreens on the way. In the midst of putting together Mom and Lou's new swing, Lou's oldest son David and I were commenting on the volume of noise this year's cicadas were creating when lo and behold, I see just tons of the bastards collecting on the ground, on the trees, some even landing on us at various times. It almost seemed Hitchcockian if we weren't laughing/retching at the sight and smell of these things (the "sweet" smell of decay). After some good food and conversation/gossip (I thought my immediate family had some drama until I heard the latest concerning my youngest stepbrother), Liam and I made our way down to his neck of the woods and after saying goodbye to my slightly chagrined ex (she had no problem with Liam's haircut per Se, just the fact that she had just cut his hair only to have her work erased), I headed home.

I considered myself very lucky today to have such a great family. It did make me think that, for the most part, I really have nothing to complain about. In the end, we all want each other to be happy and healthy and I feel that much more of both after spending time with them. Aww.



Listen to Young Galaxy

1 comment:

SUSPERIA said...

It really is great that your family and stepfamily are so great. My parents are hardly tolerable, and I'm completely serious. Way back I thought they were so cool, because we didn't have a curfew,whether it be at night or for days at a time. After many terrible things happened to me, the only comfort and advice I got was,we don't care what you do, just don't get arrested ,because we won't bail you out"
So, as a parent in retrospect, I had some of the worst parents in history,and I'll never treat my kids like my parents treated me.
Luckily I made it through all of the bullshit to today, how I did it I don't know!