Sunday, June 24, 2007

On My Way To a Past Mistake

One definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same mistake and expecting a different outcome.

If that phrase does in fact ring true, than I must be certifiable. I wish I could just blame last night's "insanity" on exhaustion (texting from Schuba's with one eye open-stone cold sober, thank you). The fact was , I was lonely and any remotely attractive woman was there with someone else (yeah, flirting at this point would have been a great idea, what with all the "game" I don't have). I was willing to start up yet another cycle of what in my mind would have been selfish behavior; when my invitation was turned into an invitation to meet elsewhere, I did the usual, "I'm sorry, it was a mistake contacting you". I don't get it-I should be enjoying the freedom of being single, and I do for the most part. I like that I don't have to call someone every night or have certain days of my week set aside anymore. On the flipside, there are times when it'd be nice to have someone nearby who could come over at the last minute to watch, say Amores Perros (ok, maybe not-it's not for the squeamish). Until I can find that balance, though, I guess it's best to stay where I'm at.

Thankfully, I was able to get out of myself earlier that night at Vince's housewarming party. He's got a great place a block over from my mother's old condo. Met some of his colleagues as well as some people I've seen around in the rooms but never talked to before. As insane as I feel and act at times, I do like seeing my friends in love; they do make it seem possible.

Distractions aside, the Dosh show later that evening was incredible. Sold out crowd at Schubas versus the 50% full show at the Empty Bottle just months before. Word must be spreading, though drumming for Andrew Bird certainly didn't hurt, and support band Black Moth Super Rainbow were like audio LSD (that's a good thing, in my opinion). Word has it BMSR will be opening for The Flaming Lips on their Fall tour. Provided tickets aren't too pricey, I know a certain soon-to-be-12 year old who would more than likely get a kick out of both bands.

Leaving in an hour to grab Liam and begin our summer. About damn time.

1 comment:

SUSPERIA said...

Amores Perros is a really good movie.
I saw Flaming Lips last year at Voodoo Fest, and they were amazing, we had artist passes as one of my friends works for satan(aka MTV), so we were on a catwalk watching everything.......they are just amazing.