Sunday, October 28, 2007

Insert catchy title here

Nothing like a trip to Borders to zone out and reflect on another weekend. Friday began with a trip to Chicago Comics before meeting up with N. at the Chicago Diner. It's nice to know that I can be friends with a vegetarian who's tolerant of my...er, carnivorous appetite. That said, after months of eating vegetarian for most of the week, I had developed a fondness for some of the fake meat dishes and N. was surprised at my recommendation to go to the Diner. Part of my reason was out of a courtesy to her, the other (referring to my last post) being that I need to hit old "haunts" and make new memories. Stomachs full, we headed to the Metro to catch Minus The Bear and to meet up with K. Openers Grand Archives and The Helio Sequence were fantastic (I'm a longtime fan of the latter), and by the time MTB came on the room looked surprisingly full to capacity. What was even more surprising was the high level of "jockness" in the venue-what does the dopey, beer-swilling football fan make of the band? Did they show up, drop $19.00 in the hopes of getting laid? Who knows...all I know is that the band themselves clearly soaked up the large crowd and encouraged all manner of hand clapping. This was not the band I caught just a few years ago, and while their new album is quite good, I was a little turned off by the spectacle of it all. I may think twice about catching them live again anytime soon.

Saturday afternoon I drove like mad to make it to J. and H.'s wedding in Naperville. While it was quite a beautiful and unique ceremony (complete with black Chuck Taylors for the groomsmen!), I got all sentimental and thoughts drifted to my own wedding and how I hope to find that perfect person to walk down the aisle with (cue barfing). I was happy to see D. again who was in the party. While we didn't have much time to hang (I elected not to go to the reception), she'll be back for Christmas. Later that night I headed to the Empty Bottle to catch the mighty Jesu and met with G. and the gang, with R. swinging by later.

Tonight I sit here, grateful for the friends I have and nostalgic for a few I have not spoken to in recent weeks. I'm just not ready to reach out to them at this point. Call it selfishness, call it cowardice-life goes on and I am content with the decision I made.

No comments: